Wavefront Music Festival welcomes the world’s best DJs to Montrose Beach in Chicago
You Can Catch the Show on National TV on AXS TV
Get Tickets Here
The city of Chicago is not that bad of a place to host music festivals. It doesn’t get any better than Montrose Beach when you’re talking about sandy beaches and a nice venue. But when you top it off with an arsenal of highly talented artists that will be spinning this weekend, there’s really no better place to be than Montrose Beach. We’ve hand selected 10 acts that you can’t afford to miss. And with the show being nationally televised on AXSTV, there’s really no excuse.
10 Acts You Can’t Miss Including Several Artists You’ll Rarely Catch In The US
10. Xonic (9 pm Friday) – I have to give some love to a local Chicago artist that has been taking the city by storm. After rocking the main stage at Spring Awakening, Jeff Roehl aka Xonic was given a closing slot at the first day of Wavefront. His incredible tech house beats are something you don’t want to miss out on. After receiving a residency at The Mid in Chicago, he’s gone on to receive slots at Spring Awakening, Electric Forest, and now Wavefront. You’ll be hearing a lot from this guy in the future.
9. Caspa (3 pm Saturday) – Caspa is one of the godfather’s of the UK Dubstep scene. He is also the man in charge of the label Dub Police which has helped to spark the careers of artists such as Rusko, Doctor P, Subscape, EMALKAY, & many others. Festival goers, as well as television viewers, will be in for quite the treat when they are exposed to the fast paced hard hitting style of Caspa’s classic dubstep.
8. 3LAU (3 pm Sunday) – The 22-year-old 3LAU first took the electronic music scene by storm, igniting dance parties and crafting beats to the delight of fans worldwide. Joining the release circuit less than two years ago, 3LAU amassed widespread acclaim with two eclectic collections of bootlegs titled “Dance Floor Filth,” and the term continues to describe 3LAU’s unique sound. Once his music and mixes reached the ears of fans and bloggers alike, 3LAU earned top 10 Beatport & Hype Machine charting as well as a DJ reputation for flawlessly blending together bootlegs, remixes, and originals into fast-paced sets that keep crowds guessing.
7. Jacques Lu Cont (5:30 Saturday) – Otherwise known as Stuart Price, this British musician has 3 grammys under his belt and can also claim responsibility for being the idol and inspiration of the world famous Madeon. You’ve without a doubt heard his remixes of some of the top pop stars over the years. If you haven’t already heard them, check out Jacques’s remix of Mike Snow’s Paddling Out and Coldplay’s Charlie Brown.
6. Nicolas Jaar (8:45 Sunday) – We are incredibly fortunate to have a talent of Nicolas Jaar’s caliber closing out the festival on Sunday. He is a musical genius and possesses a unique style that no one in the industry can match. Most of Jaar’s compositions “reside at 100 BPM or lower, far lower than the techno/house standards of 120-130 BPM.” If you haven’t had the pleasure of hearing it, check out his essential mix which takes you on a magical journey that touches almost every genre of music. It has been widely recognized by critics as the greatest mix in the 20 year history of the program. His album Space Is Only Noise, released in 2011, was voted the number one album of the year by Resident Advisor, Mixmag, and Crack Mag.
5. Bad Boy Bill (6:30 Saturday) – This Chicago house music legend can spin on 6 tables at once. If that’s not enough of a reason to check him out, I don’t know what is. He is one of the most incredible talents in the industry and whenever he plays in his backyard of Chicago his sets always have a little bit added emotion.
4. Diplo (7:15 Sunday) – There’s a reason his radio show Diplo & Friends is host to some of the greatest talents in the industry. He may be outspoken, but you earn that ability when you have as much as respect as Diplo. He is currently collaborating with Skrillex and this may be one of the last shows in a while that you’ll have the opportunity to see him perform solo.
3. Fatboy Slim (8:30 Saturday) – Not much needs to be said about this legend. If you’re any kind of fan of EDM, you know exactly why you can’t miss this set.
2. Rusko (7:30 Saturday) – Whether it’s drum & bass or dubstep, he is always a treat to see. Rusko always seems to surprise the crowd with new music when he performs at festivals. I can’t wait to see what he has in store for us Saturday. We can also hope for an appearance from close friend Caspa on stage. The two have rocked many a stage together and Caspa plays just a few hours earlier in the day. A throwback to the dub police of a couple years ago could be the highlight of the festival.
1. Cedric Gervais (6:00 Friday) – There’s just no better scene for his music than a beach festival. His summer anthems will surely ignite the crowd and set the stage for the rest of the weekend. If you’re disappointed you’re missing this festival, I’d definitely tune out during the television stream of this set. It’s sure to make you miserable that you aren’t there.