One of the most beloved acts in dance music delivers again. After announcing their fourth artist album back at their annual Group Therapy milestone event in September, Above & Beyond have delivered a true masterpiece with their new album Common Ground.
Any musician will tell you that to grow as an artist, you have to take risks. Throughout the years, Jono Grant, Tony McGuinness, and Paavo Siljamaki have indeed taken many risks. Common Ground is no different. Their core sound remained intact, but it’s the variety of sounds they incorporated that make this album unlike anything they’ve released. Throughout the album, you’ll hear a mixture of instruments from piano, to guitar, and even snares.
While also producing high energy tracks, Above & Beyond show off their musical composition skills with a few down tempo ballads. Songs like ‘The Inconsistency Principle’, ‘Always’, and album title ‘Common Ground’ all incorporate beautiful instruments with moving melodies while leaving the bass line at home. The music is emotionally stirring and truly embodies who Above & Beyond are as artists.
The familiar voices of Above & Beyond are everywhere on this album. Zoe Johnston, Richard Bedford, and Justine Suissa each have three tracks on the album. This is the first time that all three are featured on the same album; something any Above & Beyond fan will recognize as truly special. Marty Longstaff makes his debut on the fan favorite ‘Tightrope’ and even Above & Beyond’s own Jono Grant makes his vocalist debut on ‘Is it Love? (1001)’. This album is a true “common ground” of Above & Beyond new and old.
You’ll hear the beautiful voice of Zoe Johnston on the emotional ‘My Own Hymn’, ‘Always’, a song dedicated to the loyalty of A&B’s fans, and ‘Sahara Love’, which features catchy guitar chords and will surely become a fan favorite. Zoe’s lyrics once again hit close to home, stirring up some serious emotions. This is undoubtedly some of their best work together.
‘Sun & Moon’ vocalist Richard Bedford is featured on ‘Northern Soul’, a dedication to the city of Detroit, ‘Happiness Amplified’, and ‘Bittersweet & Blue’; two tracks which blend melody and energy masterfully. Bedford wasn’t featured on We Are All We Need, so to have him back working with Above & Beyond feels special once again.
Oceanlab vocalist Justine Suissa is featured on the already popular ‘Alright Now’, the stirring ‘Naked’, and the deep and meaningful ‘Cold Feet’. She, just like Zoe Johnston, has an incredible talent for song writing and singing. These tracks stand out arguably more than any other on the album.
Every song on Common Ground is special in its own way. ‘My Own Hymn’, ‘Northern Soul’, ‘Tightrope’, ‘Always’ and ‘Alright Now’ saw their releases before the album and have already become fan favorites. But Above & Beyond cleverly held the other tracks for the album release. Fans will be singing ‘Naked’, ‘Sahara Love’, ‘Cold Feet’, and ‘Bittersweet & Blue’ for years to come. No doubt you’ll hear all of these on the upcoming Common Ground Tour. Maybe we’ll even see a new “Push the Button” song. Perhaps ‘Alright Now’, ‘Is It Love?’, or one of the other many wonderful tracks on the album. My guess is you’ll even hear club mixes and remixes from Anjunabeat’s best and brightest in the near future.
Above & Beyond’s fourth artist album Common Ground will see its release tomorrow, January 26th. They’ll continue their Common Ground Tour at Echostage and then at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. If you’ve already got tickets, then you’re in luck. A copy of Common Ground comes with every ticket sold on the tour. So if you don’t have a ticket yet, go grab one and you’ll get a copy of the album. You can check out the tracklist and tour dates below along with the released singles. The full album will be available tomorrow. And to all the fans, just remember,“always, sure as the rising sun” you will fall in love with Common Ground.
Above & Beyond Common Ground Tracklist
- Above & Beyond- The Inconsistency Principle
- Above & Beyond feat. Zoë Johnston- My Own Hymn
- Above & Beyond feat. Richard Bedford- Northern Soul
- Above & Beyond feat. Justin Suissa- Naked
- Above & Beyond feat. Zoë Johnston- Sahara Love
- Above & Beyond feat. Richard Bedford- Happiness Amplified
- Above & Beyond- Is It Love? (1001)
- Above & Beyond feat. Justine Suissa- Cold Feet
- Above & Beyond feat. Marty Longstaff- Tightrope
- Above & Beyond feat. Justine Suissa- Alright Now
- Above & Beyond feat. Richard Bedford- Bittersweet And Blue
- Above & Beyond feat. Zoë Johnston- Always
- Above & Beyond- Common Ground
Common Ground Tour Dates:
- January 25th – The Fillmore, Philadelphia, PA
- January 26th – Echostage, Washington, DC
- January 27th – Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
- February 1st – Rebel, Toronto, ON
- February 2nd – Rebel, Toronto, ON
- February 3rd – Place Bell, Laval, QC
- February 6th – Higher Ground, Burlington, VT
- February 8th – S.I Hall at NYS Fairground, Syracuse, NY
- February 9th – The Palladium, Worcester, MA
- February 10th – The Strand, Providence RI
- February 15th – House of Blues, Cleveland, OH
- February 16th – Egyptian Room @ Old National Centre, Indianapolis, IN
- February 17th – Navy Pier Festival Hall, Chicago, IL
- February 18th – The Fillmore, Detroit MI
- February 21st – The Pageant, St. Louis, MO
- February 23rd – The Pavilion at Toyota Music Factory, Dallas, TX
- February 24th – Revention Music Center, Houston, TX
- February 25th – EDC Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
- February 27th – Rawhide Event Center, Phoenix, AZ
- March 2nd – Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
- March 3rd – Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
- March 7th – Roseland Theater, Portland, OR
- March 8th – Roseland Theater, Portland, OR
- March 9th – Revolution Concert House and Event Center, Garden City, ID
- March 10th – Get Lucky Festival, Salt Lake City, UT
- March 13th – Arvest Bank Theatre at The Midland, Kansas City, MO
- March 15th – Marathon Music Works, Nashville, TN
- March 16th – The Joy Theater, New Orleans, LA
- March 17th – Coca-Cola Roxy, Atlanta, GA
- March 18th – The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC
- March 22nd – RC Cola Plant, Miami, FL
- May 19th – Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO
- May 26th – Steel Yard, Finsbury Park, London, UK