7 Deaths and 5 Comas At Vietnam EDM Festival Results in Ban

0
448
vietnam
Promo Poster for Vietnam Electronic Weekend. Photo cred: Loopcentral

Seven people died and five people are in comas due to suspected drug overdoses after the music festival Vietnam Electronic Weekend (VEW), occurred this past Sunday in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Thousands attended the event, which was dubbed the largest electronic music event ever held in Vietnam. It took place in Hanoi’s West Lake Water Park, an area known for its nightlife. This was the third year of the music festival, and it was headlined by big names such as Ben Nicky, Yellowclaw, and Headhunterz.

All the victims, aged between 18 and 29, tested positive for substances in their bloodstreams which include methamphetamine, amphetamine, ecstasy, and marijuana. Police also found balloons containing nitrous oxide, commonly known as “laughing gas,” and pills of unidentified substances at the scene of the festival.

vietnam
Attendees at VEW 2018. Photo cred: Vietnam Insider

Following the incident, Mr. Tô Văn Động, the Director of the Department of Culture and Sports in Hanoi, issued a statement that the local government will be withdrawing all existing licenses for music festivals and will not be issuing any new licenses until further notice.

The promoters of VEW 2018, Connected Agency, released a statement on Facebook, expressing their condolences while also stating that they had followed all necessary procedures to organize the event before the tragedies occurred.